- China receives over $2.5 Billion In Foreign Aid ($1.2 Billion from Japan alone) from countries in debt to them with massive deficits. America only gives $68million because of Tianamen Square and other human rights abuses by the Chinese government. Not the least of which would be the 11 year imprisonment of Nobel Peace Prize Winner Liu Xiaobo. From Vincent Fernando of Business Insider blog.
- There was cross-ownership with some banks and their CDO business. Pro-Publica breaks down who had the CDO deals with the most cross-ownership. Journalists Jake Bernstein and Jesse Eisinger
- Paul Kiel of ProPublica on the U.S. Government's Mortgage Modification program and how it failed to meet its "goals". Treasury officials have done everything but give a full confession that this was just a cynical tactic to delay or spread out foreclosures over a longer time frame.
- Meredith Whitney on Bloomberg discussing finances/budgets of some U.S. States. Video from Bloomberg. Maybe 30 second advertisement before the video. Highly Recommended Viewing
- Always exercise caution on the internet. Geraldine Baum and Stuart Pfeifer of LA Times on cybertheft
- In modern day China grandparents often play the role of parents. Megan K. Stack of Los Angeles Times reporting from Lizhuang China.
- Isabel Macdonald of The Nation with some fine journalism uncovers anti-illegal immigrant hypocrite Lou Dobbs employment of illegals as cheap labor for his ranch/horses. For whatever it's worth I think Isabel Macdonald is a exceptionally attractive woman. You might catch her interview with Amy Goodman on the October 7 podcast of "Democracy Now". Good eye candy.
- The New Republic with a story on genes and Ashkenazi Jews.
- Liu Xiaobo Wins Nobel Peace Prize. From LA Times He is currently sitting in a Chinese prison, sentenced to 11 years prison time for asking for Democracy/voting rights in China.
- Last of a dying breed??? George Blanda of the Oakland Raiders passes way at age 83. From Sam Farmer of the Los Angeles Times
- Photo of a cute Panda bear baby swiped from Andrew Sullivan's blog "The Dish". Photo by Jasper Juinen of Getty Images.
Sunday, October 10, 2010
Sunday Night Links
Some of these links are a little "dated", but good stuff if you missed it.